OK, any of you who know me slightly better than casually know this, but I ended up doing work on MeTal over the weekend even when I said I wouldn't. Here's what got accomplished.
The theme export/import system is in the middle of being rewritten. I just got it working, but now I realize it makes more sense to have each template in the themes stored as separate files so they can be edited offline more effectively. It also makes themes more amenable to revision-tracking systems like git.
A few other minor under-the-hood tweaks, like the spacing of the save buttons in the editor interface. That had been nagging at me for a while, so I finally got off my rusty-dusty and fixed it.
I'm doing the best I can to keep the feature set I had planned for the first release to remain minimal and focused, but there are a great many individual details about any one feature that must be addressed, and a certain amount of backtracking is inevitable. But I'm still hoping to get something out for people to play with as of this spring. It won't have the full-blown version of the installer -- some manual setup will still be needed -- but it'll at least work.